United Nations Special Envoy for Road Safety
United Nations Secretary-General announced on 29 April 2015 the appointment of Jean Todt as his Special Envoy for Road Safety. Mr. Todt is the former President of Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) - Terms of Reference and Mr. Todt's CV.
Every year, 1.4 million people are killed from road crashes and millions more are injured. Half of all road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. Road traffic deaths are also the leading cause of death for young people aged 15-29, and road traffic injuries are the eighth leading cause of death globally... Read more
Key areas of work
- From 22 to 26 May 2022, the Special Envoy participated in the World Economic Forum in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland;
- On 20 May 2022, the Special Envoy contributed remotely to the Ministerial Roundtable during the 9th edition of Africities;
- On 4 April 2022, the Special Envoy participated in the UNECE 2nd Forum of Mayors;
- On 17-18 March 2022, the Special Envoy travelled to Abuja, Nigeria to meet with high-level officials from the Government and the United Nations;
- On 12 January 2022, the Special Envoy hosted the virtual launch of the Road Safety Performance Review report and presented its recommendations to high-level government officials of Zimbabwe and the Executive Secretary of UNECA.
- The Special Envoy convened the Fifth UN Partnership Meeting for Road Safety on 9 December 2021;
- The Special Envoy supported Botswana National Road Safety Workshop along with the Minister of Transport of Botswana on 11-12 November 2021;
- The Special Envoy met with Government and UN officials as well as representatives from the private sector in Washington D.C., New York, Mexico, Belgium and Qatar in October and November 2021;
- The Special Envoy delivered remarks at ESCAP Regional Collaborative Platform (RCP) Meeting in October 2021 and at UNECE RCP Meeting in November 2021;
- The Special Envoy contributed to the Launch of the Global Plan for the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030 on 28 October 2021;
- The Special Envoy, along with the Ambassador of the EU Delegation and the Minister Counsellor, Chargé d’Affaires a.i. at the AU Delegation, hosted the Geneva Friends for Road Safety Network event “Two-wheeler safety in Africa: safe and affordable helmets” on 19 October 2021.
- The Special Envoy contributed to the 2nd UN Global Sustainable Transport Conference, 14-16 October 2021;
- The Special Envoy contributed to the Launch of the AI for Road Safety with ITU and 38 UN partners;
- The Special Envoy delivered remarks at the UN High-Level Political forum for Sustainable Development in July 2021;
- With a new Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030 (proclaimed in the UNGA Resolution A/74/299), the 6th UN Global Road Safety Week (GRSW), 17-23 May, was an opportunity to raise visibility of the cause on the global scale. The Special Envoy contributed to the 6th UN GRSW through a number of efforts.