The seventh meeting of the Task Force on Water Food Energy Ecosystems Nexus was carried out in a hybrid format in the Palais des Nations, Geneva on 12 and 13 December 2022, back-to back to the Global Workshop on Source-to-sea Management on 14-16 December 2022.
The meeting aimed to discuss, plan and provide guidance to, the implementation of the activities on water food energy ecosystems nexus and water allocation, under the programme of work for 2022-2024 of the Water Convention.
The meeting gathered experts representing governmental authorities, the private sector, non-governmental and international organizations as well as other interested stakeholders, and it focused on:
- The promotion of nexus cooperation in transboundary basins globally, building on the knowledge and experience developed so far under the Task Force and beyond.
- The “operationalization” of “nexus solutions and investments”, especially from the perspective of River Basin Organizations.
- Water allocation in the transboundary context, and complementarity of the Nexus Approach.
- The key role of ecosystems in the nexus: state of the art in research and challenges in integrating it in nexus assessments.
- Sustainable Water-Energy Solutions, and the activities of the Sustainable Water and Energy Solutions Network coordinated by UNDESA and ITAIPU Binacional.